Open Passport seeks to be an acknowledgment to travel journalists who carry out their work ethically and to the organizations that collaborate with the committed work of these communication professionals in tourism. The Open Passport Award seeks to represent the need to live in a world without borders in which respect, solidarity and free access to information prevail.
- Promote and educate on travel journalism to promote greater development.
- Encourage journalists to innovate and create quality tourism content.
- Disseminate and reward the work of professionals from all over the world to achieve a greater distinction of this specialization.
- Recognize those who promote and accompany the work of the tourist journalist.
- To raise awareness about the need to live in a more just and united world.
- Social relevance: We believe that the issues addressed by the journalist should have relevance to the local, regional, national or international community where the issues dealt with, not only for the journalist, making the journalism activity a true common good. This category encourages journalists to produce materials that are of interest to the community in general, both local and on a larger scale, taking into account the impact of the topic from the postulated work.
- Recognition of others: We understand tourism as a reality in which an infinity of actors, some with much power, and others with very little influence. It is these same powerful actors who have more resources within their reach to make their version and / or vision of events heard, to the detriment of the less powerful, whose speech and / or version is silenced, and in some cases discredited. This category invites to investigate including as a journalistic source those voices of actors who, due to their lack of resources within their reach, find it difficult to express their needs and / or demands before the mass media and / or those responsible for their situation Disfavoring
- Originality: In journalistic work, like any other, you can fall into routine and monotony, making all research and / or publications involve topics already addressed or always follow the same process of research and publication. This category is intended for journalists to cover new issues that have not been investigated previously, or from an innovative and interesting perspective, emphasizing the argument and the degree of curiosity that the election presents.
- Investigative journalism: We are aware that journalistic practice, and especially research, reveals facts, events or information that have been kept hidden or implying damage to the community. In this sense, many journalistic investigations have served as public denunciation to public officials, public and private companies and business groups with great power and influence over the common citizen, among other actors. Sometimes newspaper reports have been the starting point for a judicial investigation. This category promotes journalism as an activity that denounces criminal acts and any bad faith action that warrants a social or judicial conviction, focusing on the type of accusation, if the process resulted in an imputation, and the degree of commitment to the issue .
- Students / Future Professionals: We consider academic training in the careers of travel, journalism, communication, and related subjects of utmost importance. The students and people who are just beginning in the journalistic activity will be in the future the creators of public opinion and those who will mark the journalistic agenda. That is why we consider it important that from now on, the issues related to travel are treated periodically and from a new and young perspective, showing future results in their professional performance. This category encourages students from the aforementioned careers and related careers to research and produce materials related to tourism. Applicants to this category must present proof of their quality of students at the time of publication / completion of the experience, otherwise their application will not be taken into account for this category.
- Better educational proposal: We believe it is possible to renew the conception of tourism from all the actors involved, and for this it is necessary that the whole community, from children, through young people to adults, have a true awareness of good educational practices , Whether formal or informal. This category promotes educational projects that present an innovative pedagogical dynamic around tourism in general, and travel journalism in particular.
- Event of the year: Tourism events attract a large number of people to the place where they are held, promoting this place as a destination for new and old visitors. They are usually organized around a specific activity, whether sports, gastronomic, social, etc., but they are certainly attractive for the locality to be visited, contributing to the economic development of local merchants and producers. This category encourages the organization of events that publicize different tourist destinations, as long as it is done in a respectful way for the local cultural and natural heritage.
- Specialized medium in tourism: Most journalistic articles related to tourism are not published in a specifically tourism medium, but are part of a group of subjects that the mass media generally cover. Our goal as an organization is that more and more tourism media are increasingly available, where tourism professionals and journalists can make their words heard. This category encourages the creation of specialized tourism media, where tourism and related journalists can carry out their activities fully, not to the detriment of other issues.
- Responsible tourist destination: there are tourist destinations of great trajectory and tourist destinations that are more incipient, but what this award will seek to recognize is the evidence of ties of solidarity, fluid communication and sustainability among the social actors that make it up, the natural and patrimonial environment , And the context.
- Organization of committed tourism journalists: The organizations bring together professionals from the same field, in this case of travel journalists, and are a space for debate and exchange of ideas and experiences that nurture members of it as well as all Who carry out the same profession. The organizations provide the framework and legitimacy to organize events, congresses, trainings, and various activities around the field. This category promotes the creation and maintenance of organizations of travel journalists as an instance of encounter and exchange between professionals of the specialization.
- Collaborating organization: To carry out their work, travel journalists need the input of government agencies, bureaus, companies, non-profit organizations, professionals, … that facilitate the coverage of events in each tourist destination. Teamwork is essential for the tourist development of any site and the tourist journalist is a key piece in that process.
- To the trajectory: Although the specialization and its massiveness dates of the last years, the tourist journalism has existed since the beginnings of the journalism, and many professionals have been able to demonstrate its capacity and passion in the heading. This category is aimed at professionals dedicated to travel journalism who deserve recognition after so many years dedicated to the profession.
Grand Prize Open Passport: There are publications and experiences that stand out above the others, either because of the topic dealt with, the perspective adopted, the repercussions, the design and presentation, and innumerable factors that really deserve recognition. This category recognizes that work that is a true example of journalistic excellence in tourism.